Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Butter v. Margarine...

Last week I signed up to make Blondies that were going to be used during the intermission of my older son's high school theater production.  While I was at the store shopping for all of the necessary ingredients to create these amazing delicacies, I was torn between using butter or margarine.  I opted for the real deal because, hey...nothing but the finest for MY son.  (That, and I didn't want spend the weekend thinking people might have known that I was the one who made them with - dare I say - margarine?)  (o;

Since I had never used this recipe before I wasn't sure how they were going to turn out, but let me tell you...the ease of creating these sugary masterpieces is borderline dangerous!  So more and more did I sign up to make (and of course had to taste-test) - until I ran out of butter.  It had been a long and tiring day of running around, and I only needed one more stick of butter to make one last batch of Blondies for the show the next day.  I didn't want to have to make one more grocery store run, so I took the easy way out and hit the local dollar store knowing they'd HAVE to have butter.  And they did!  But it wasn't the real butter that I knew would make the perfect baked good, but the butter-like substitute known as margarine.  I went with it anyway out of sheer convenience. 

What's my point, you ask?  I'll let the picture do all the talking.  Now, I didn't take this picture, but it's exactly what my friend and I discovered after about five tries of using "more of this," and "less of that" as we tweaked the recipe to figure out what we were doing wrong.





The Blondies on the left were made with butter and the ones on the right...well, not so much.  The margarine-made desserts came out tasting like a really good cake that would be pretty amazing with some cream cheese frosting on them, but they didn't turn out as they were designed.  We used everything the recipe called for, and we did everything in the right order.  We mixed and baked everything according to the direction, but the finished products were obviously very different.



Moral of the story?  Life is like making Blondies.  You can settle for the lesser ingredients out of convenience and still get a finished product.  Ooorr...you can opt to use REAL butter and get the best tasting, most addicting results out of life that you most certainly deserve to have...the first time around.  

So the next time you're in a situation where you're not sure what to do, ask yourself, "What's my goal here...Blondies or cake?"

Happy Baking!


Danica
www.unpackyourlife.com
www.victoriamills.com/your-life-lift-team

No comments:

Post a Comment